Tuesday, March 1, 2016

A Day In the Life of a Blogger With Two (real world) Jobs

When I first started this blog, I was working part time at a spa/hotel. I had all week to work on posts and graphics and everything for my blog. Then I started picking up extra shifts as we got busier, but I was still doing okay. As of January 19 I officially had a second job, and I am working seven days a week. I'm not going to see a day off until Memorial Day (unless something bad happens I guess.)

I wanted to show what a day in my life looks like while I juggle two jobs and a growing blog.

I wake up around 630 am Monday through Friday and around 530 am on weekends. Every week. My current shift at my full time job is 930-4 (and I cannot wait until I find out my official shift…) But, because I carpool with Amanda, I have to be up with her and the kids. We have to drop the kids off for school and Amanda has to be to work at 830 (until we switch to our regular hours, then it’s 8.) My weekend shift is 7-3.

I wake up, and the first thing I do is check my phone. Then I slowly get dressed and ready for work. I feed Lucy her breakfast, and head downstairs. Some days I can get right into the bathroom, most days I can’t. This means I sit at the table until I can. I’m always the first one ready to go, and the kids always take forever. And they complain. They’re teenagers, what can I say?

Once everyone is ready to go, usually around 730 even though we should be leaving at 7, we leave the house. Our first stop is Bug’s bus stop, usually. Sometimes we just drop her off and leave, other times we wait for the bus. It depends on how late we are. Our next stop is Mishka’s school. As a high school sophomore, he’s always late. After we drop him off we stop for breakfast and jump on the highway to work. It’s about a 20-30 minute drive.

Because Amanda has to be in an hour before me, I usually take that time to go to the store for our lunch. Depending on how much time I have when I get back, I sit in our café/bistro and read.

I work in a call center taking order entry calls and creating orders from mail or faxed orders. If there are no orders (fax, mail or phone), there isn’t much to do. We can’t be on our phone, and we can’t be reading. We can use some of the art/craft items we have around the office. But usually I just try to become familiar with our website.  Amanda gets out at 5, and I (currently) get out at 4, so I have another hour after work sitting in the bistro.

 After work, we drive to our moms’ house to pick up the kids. We usually stay for a little while to spend time with our mom, but then we just head home for dinner. After dinner, depending on how long we stayed at moms, we will watch TV, play a game together, or head to bed. We like playing games as a family, though Mishka doesn’t join in often unless we play his Spiderman Monopoly.

To be completely honest, we don’t do much outside of work. I start my days at 530/630 and end them around 830/930. By the time dinner is over, I’m usually so exhausted I don’t want to do anything else. It’s hard, having so many long days and no time off. I’m grateful for both of my jobs, and neither is hard. But damn if I’m not exhausted right now typing this (at work, mind.)

But is it worth it? Absolutely. As a temp, I’m worried about keeping my full time job. We started with eight trainees and now, a month later, we are down to half that. I don’t want to leave my weekend job, because at least this is a permanent position. I’m stuck between a rock and a hard place. Working this much got me my new phone, and will get me a car. If I don’t keep the full time job with my sister, having a car will make it so much easier to find a new job.

I’m just. So. Damn. Tired. Does anyone have any suggestions that don't include caffeine? I have a caffeine intolerance, it gives me chest pains. I know there has to be something I can do. If you have any suggestions, please let me know in the comments below :)

No comments:

Post a Comment